Tuesday 17 June 2014

Appreciating what you've achieved.

It is so easy to take things in life for granted: you're family, your friends, your health, your home, your job.
It's easy because things become routine. We get up everyday, say good morning to those (if anyone) in our homes, we get dressed in those nice clothes we can afford to buy, have breakfast with the food we are fortunate enough to eat, and go the work or school place which we are able to have.
It isn't until we see someone who lacks one or more of these things we have that we take a moment to sympathise with them, then reflect inward and appreciate that we have it.
Everything is so invaluable in that moment because we realise everything is so fragile and that we're lucky.
Not lucky in the sense that we've not worked for these things and earned them, but in the sense that we are able to have them when other people simply can't have them.

I was walking around work (THE GUARDIAN) yesterday, helping a college measure poster sizes for an upcoming event when I was suddenly overwhelmed by the fact that I work at the Guardian-how amazing is that?!
Of course I beam when I tell people and when friends and family ask me how its going I tell them "it's the best thing that's ever happened to me" but to stop and think that I have this beautiful opportunity is incredible.

It also occured to me to write this post having had a conversation with the other Guardian apprentices about our future if any at the company. It goes without saying that none of us want to leave-ever. But we felt a sense of pannic, how can we guarantee our places here? How? Someone please tell me! (Seriously if you have any fool-proof methods please let me know, a potion, a dance, a magic goat anything)

I also felt the need to write it as a few days ago, it was the anniversary of something. The details I won't go into, it's almost futile. But what happened caused me to be practically thrust into clinical depression. All I can say is I was headed a lot further down then how I was this time last year. Feeling (around September/October time) that I was in the absolute depths I never thought that I'd be able to survive another interview, let alone get up every single day and go to work.

So I suppose this post isn't just about appreciating what you have. It's about celebrating what you've achieved, even the little things (when ever I need to justify buying something I still use the excuse that I need to treat myself for getting into sixth form!)
I find that British people have the amazing ability to downplay, put down and find fault in nearly all of their achievements.

Take some time everyday to celebrate what it is you've done.
Ok so you don't know your exam results yet, but you got through them!
Ok so you don't have the best job yet, but you've got one.
Maybe you don't have a job but you're putting in a bloody good effort to get one.

Try hard and achieve. Appreciate your achievements and then celebrate them!

Ri

No comments:

Post a Comment