Monday 28 April 2014

"It doesn't matter what your course is, university gives you transferable skills for the work place"

"It doesn't matter what your course is, university gives you transferable skills for the work place"
A line I've heard so much it makes me want to take my long, dark, non-student hair and shove it in to my ears just so I don't have to hear it any more.
Of course uni gives you "transferable skills" like being organised and time-keeping, not forgetting determination and of course a good work ethic.
If this is a viable statement to put on your cv or recite in an interview then in my next interview, it's ok for me to say that "I have gained good skills in the work place from owning a cat" surely?!
Owning a cat means you learn to be patient, you become compassionate, ethical and caring. You also have to be commited.
Or what about having to dress yourself everyday? That gives you transferable skills doesn't it?!
So what I am trying to get at is whilst there is some truth in that arguement, you can also replace the word "university" with pretty much anything. With this in mind, some people could be lead to think that because of this, it's in fact utter rubbish.
Of course, I am Switzerland. Well, thats not true because I am bias towards alternatives to university. 
Shall I tell you what will give "transferable skills for the work place," well in fact ACTUAL WORK PLACE SKILLS?
Well ladies and gentlemen, instead of three years "learning" at university, three years in an apprenticeship or interning will give you MUCH better skills which will benefit you in a career.
Growing up at uni? I'm not so sure. Spend 3 years anywhere and you will grow up (new concept just invented by NASA called time and the ageing process) but university? I think the rate of growing up is liable to become stangnent or slow at least.
Spend three years between being 18 and 21 in employment around actual adults and your maturity levels will soar!
Three years of drinking, avoiding lectures, student loans and living with mostly people your own age. Now compare that with three years of 9-5 work, being around 16-67 year olds all day, commuting, acting as an adult in the work place, being responsible and earning your own money (not that borrowed from tax payers and often never paid back) and you'll see who gets most work place skills and maturity.
Ri x

No comments:

Post a Comment